Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 10 March 2018

Warning Sign Of Things To Come


One thing leads to another- I few weeks ago I missed out on tickets to see David Byrne on his upcoming. C'est la vie. Then I read an interview with him which referred to a film from 2016 I meant to watch but didn't get around to. The name of the film is 20th Century Women, and that's what it's about. I enjoyed it a lot, the story a single mother in her 50s and two much younger women, co-raising her son, a teenager, in late 1970s California. The film is peppered with the music of Talking Heads from their '77 debut and the 1978 follow up. On Thursday I pulled out Talking Heads 1978 album More Songs About Buildings And Food and played it through a couple of times, an album I first got into in 1987. And now today you're getting a song from that record, Warning Sign.

By 1978 Talking Heads were clearly something a little bit different, benefiting from the rush of CBGB's punk, but clearly not punk, a four-square guitar band who were showing they could make people dance. And while David Byrne may have been leader, dominant mouthpiece and main songwriter the rhythm section, Tina Weymouth and husband Chris Frantz, were developing something just as unique as Byrne's strange way of looking at the world lyrically. Warning Sign opens with Frantz's drums and some wonderful reverb splashed all over his snare, then followed by Weynouth's circling bassline. A guitar joins in and the group set up a groove that goes on for almost a minute before Byrne joins in with his nervous, neurotic vocals, echo and a slur adding some menace to the song. Brian Eno's subtle production pays off throughout the song. As someone says over at Youtube 'I could live in that bassline forever'.

Warning Sign

8 comments:

The Swede said...

A terrific tune to start the weekend with.

JTFL said...

Didn't like the film, always loved the song and still do.

Echorich said...

There is something timeless and timely about Warning Sign. It is a global song, with a message that is so brutally current, it could have been written just yesterday.
MSABAF is absolutely one of the 1970s greatest albums. Not only does it represent the nexus of a music and art scene in NYC that had been building and maturing for a decade before it's release, but it is one of the most potent "political" Art Rock albums ever released. Those "politics" are the politics of the mind, relationships as well as society.
When I'm pressed to choose a favorite Talking Heads album, I vacillate between all of the bands first 4 albums and more times than not, More Songs About Buildings And Food comes out on top.

Swiss Adam said...

You're so right Echorich. The personal is the political was one of the key philosophical ideas of the time I think. I can be persuaded that MSABAF is their best. But I could be persuaded about fear of Music and Remain In Light too.

Brian said...

I though the film was really well done.

In reference to the movie, I liked your line "that's what it's about." Very David Byrne. That's how he opens The Name of the Band is Talking Heads. "The name of this song is New Feeling. That's what it's about." Still a smile decades later.

Swiss Adam said...

Glad you picked up on that Brian. The line came to me as I was writing it. Its a line that has stuck with me since I first heard TNOTBITH, decades ago.

JC said...

Wonderfully written piece....superb interaction across the comments section. Sorry I wasn't around to contribute.

Swiss Adam said...

Better late than never JC.