Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 7 December 2017

Element


Jane Weaver's album (Modern Kosmology) is one of my most played lp releases of 2017. In October one of the stand out songs, The Architect, became the lead song on an e.p. with 3 new tracks. This one, Element, is the closer and is a thing of motorik joy. Jane's choral, layered vocals ease us in and then metronomic, minimal drums take over. A bassline joins in pulsing away. Over the next 7 minutes plus we get more of the same, beautifully repetitive. Static and odd noises come and go. Waves of synths wash in and out. It's too insistent to be ambient, very much something to tune into to and then lose yourself in.

5 comments:

TheRobster said...

One of my most played records of the year too. I have 'The Architect' EP but haven't played it yet... a horrific oversight on my part.

Walter said...

I only Cab agree to both of you. A marvellous record.

The Swede said...

Lovely record. I've been looking forward to catching her in concert for years, but when she finally passed my way last month I was too ill to attend. Had to blow Wire out during the same week - bah!

C said...

'Modern Kosmology' was the sound of my Summer. Great to hear more from Jane, thanks.

Swiss Adam said...

That's bad luck Swede.