Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Wednesday 4 October 2017

American Girl


The news, big and small, is just a mess at the moment, one crushing item after another- Catalonia, Las Vegas, the Tories in Manchester and the whole Boris Johnson circus, the continued existence of Donald Trump, Morrissey's dullard pronouncements about Ukip- that's just scratching the surface.  Yesterday brought news of the death of Tom Petty at the age of 66. I can't claim to be a massive fan but I'm aware of his role and status. I'm fond of Free Fallin' which struck me as a good tune back in 1989 (and still does) and this is a fucking monster of a song/riff/chorus/sentiment.

American Girl

Julian Casablancas might have been listening to this one in the early 2000s. At the weekend I happened upon the picture of Madonna (at Keith Haring's birthday party in 1984) and it seemed too good not to use for a post about an American girl.


2 comments:

C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C said...

The news - oh god, the news - can hardly look at it at the moment, have to make a special effort to remind myself that the world does have some good things in it in spite of it all.
Awful that TP should die so young.Just like you said, not a massive fan but very aware of his role and status. 'American Girl' really struck me at the time of its release, though, and was one of the first singles I ever bought in its pic sleeve from a record shop in Dorset on holiday, funny how I remember that detail. I can't quite explain how/why but they definitely got lumped in with the whole punk/new wave thing in '77 , it seems odd to think of that now but perhaps not so different from the way that Talking Heads did too. Anyway, I loved this and, yes, it still has what it takes.
Nice pic of Madonna too.