Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Second Machine From The Sun





I had scores of these science fiction novels as a kid in the late 70s and 80s. The Bruce Pennington art on the covers seemed overblown and semi-ridiculous then, as a kid, and more so now but they have a kitsch value I quite like again now. Retro-futurism.

Andrew Weatherall and Nina Walsh are currently encouraging us to listen to Erick Legrand. Legrand has been a big influence on the sound of the Woodleigh Research Facility. Erick died in 2011 and I don't know too much about him but his album Second Machine From The Sun (which really needs a Bruce Pennington cover like those above) is on Bandcamp and may be about to get a vinyl release. The cd/download can be yours for £7.00. It's in an electronic, soundtrack, film music area and worth giving some ear time too.

5 comments:

C said...

I just love those book covers, very kitsch as you say.

Swiss Adam said...

As a kid I didn't realise that to get that kind of paint effect you needed an airbrush. Could never work out how to do it with pencils etc

londonlee said...

Chris Foss was my favorite SF cover artist

JC said...

My now deceased young brother was a huge sci-fi fan. I'd like to think that a the eyes of a similarly minded soul would have lit up when he walked into a charity shop a few years ago and found a recently donated extensive collection of books and DVDs. And I hope the charity shop raised some funds.

Swiss Adam said...

That's a nice thought JC.