Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 24 June 2016

Tiny


I can still remember the first time I heard Freak Scene by Dinosaur Jr on cassette back in 1988. The joyous crashing, distorted guitars of the intro, the thumping drums on the bridge, the stoned vocals and dysfunctional lyrics and that twisted guitar solo. A three minute pop song that invented slacker rock- but is so much more than American kids in big shorts. It has a similar effect on me when I hear it now, a song I can't get tired of and one of those songs I'd put in a list of 'songs of my life' if I had to write one.

Freak Scene

Dinosaur Jr so impressed Sonic Youth they wrote their best song, Teenage Riot, in tribute, a song imagining J. Mascis as President of an alternative USA. Maybe he should run for the real thing given the state of the Republican candidate. This new single, out in August physically, hits some of those Dinosaur Jr highs. I've got tickets for their show at The Albert Halls in November which I'm really looking forward to- not that I want to wish the summer and autumn away.

2 comments:

mike said...

seem them live last week and they were great. no show at all :) just musik. they played songs from all dinosaur jr. albums, two new songs and just like heaven. great sound and playing, only freakscene was trashed to pieces.

Swiss Adam said...

Sounds great Mike.