Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 27 June 2015

Sent To Coventry


We are in Coventry this weekend, at a Conference/family weekend held by the charity that works to help families affected by the set of genetic diseases that our eldest I.T. is affected by. I am doing a short presentation in today's meeting about I.T.'s transition from children's services to adult services. Speaking to several hundred people. Gulp. If I still smoked, I'd be smoking right before that.

Coventry brings four things to mind for me, not necessarily in this order- a) the modernist concrete Cathedral and city centre due to bombing raids during World War Two b) Coventry City's chocolate brown away kit from the late 1970s c) Lady Godiva's naked protest and d) The Specials and The Special AKA. Jerry Dammers soldiered on after the departure of the Fun Boy Three to make the In The Studio album. Popular wisdom usually holds that the first two Specials albums, with Terry, Lynval and Neville, are the cream of the crop. But What I Like Most About You Is Your Girlfriend is absolutely as good as anything the first line up produced and the video is a blast too. I have posted this before but it's good enough to do twice.




5 comments:

george said...

I'm sure your talk will go fine and be well received; you've probably done a couple of assemblies at your school(?) so this will be easier. Fine song by The Specials.

Anonymous said...

Thanks George. I did treat it a bit like an assembly
Swiss Adam

Brian said...

Hope all is going well for you at the conference. Sending you good vibes.

Walter said...

I hope your presentation worked well. I know it is not easy to speak in front of hundreds of people. Therefore I have a great respect and I hope your eldest is as well she could be. I am sitting on my balcony right now with a glass of white wine thinking about your eldest one. It's sad to know that she's got a painful desease but I am sure you will make the best out of it. I am listening to your recommendation to Mono Life. What a great music. Thank your for this, next will be Wolf Alice.
Cheers
Walter

C said...

As above say, hope (and am sure) it goes/went well... a very worthwhile thing to do and be part of.