Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Monday 13 April 2015

Pylons


The National Grid have recently announced a new design of electricity pylon, following a competition- a T shaped one, like almost every other European country has. I even overheard some people discussing it in a pub recently. The common view on the news has been that the old 'hulk' style pylon that we've had for decades are unlovely and unloved, but I have to say I like them. Obviously there are some rural views that are spoiled by them but I like the way they seem to march across the countryside.

I heard this song on BBC 6 Music last week, Sad Robot by Nick Warren and Guy Mantzur and enjoyed it, a fine piece of electronic music- robotic bassline, lots of whooshes and rushes, disembodied and chopped up voices. This is what they call progressive house.

3 comments:

C said...

There is something about pylons I like too. Maybe it's just that they've always been there and I'm reminded of the emotional responses they evoked in me as a kid... they seemed like huge guardians, scary and imposing but benevolent in their stillness at the same time. In a weird way I think I'd rather miss them if they weren't there. (By the way, did you know there's a Pylon Appreciation Society? pylons.org !)

Erik Bartlam said...

I love such things. Like cows grazing under a cell tower. It makes me think of the windmills in Dutch paintings.

jim said...

That is a great track

thank you