Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 6 March 2015

One Step Beyond


One Step Beyond was the B-side to Prince Buster's 1964 single Al Capone and has the staccato ska-ska-ska guitar sound from which the entire genre got its name. Well, that's one theory anyway. Prince Buster's original is ace, the horn line snaking about, impossibly jiggy.

In 1979 Madness, newly signed to Stiff having left 2 Tone, released it with an extended spoken intro by Chas Smash. Suggs does not appear on the record at all but when I hear it, it's him I think of first. I found this mp3 on the net where someone has put the two versions together, compare and contrast style, Prince Buster first and Madness second.

One Step Beyond/One Step Beyond

5 comments:

The Swede said...

Oh yes. I'm blaring this out while stomping on the floor. I've just realised that the neighbours haven't gone to work yet, it's only 8.30 in the morning. Oops!

Dirk said...

Good Lord, I'm already worked tired again at 8:30!!! What am I doing wrong, I wonder??

Simon said...

God Madness were perfect from the start weren't they?

Echorich said...

Madness was the bridge that brought even more fans to the SKA revival. They proved it could be fun as much as political.

thewalker said...

That's new to me. And I fucking love it.
Headphones next I think...