Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 30 November 2013

The Spirit Shows


August 1981, a young Roddy Frame leads Aztec Camera to De Villes nightclub in Manchester, just off Albert Square. They play The Spirit Shows, Just Like Gold and Remember The Docks and someone has uploaded a recording to Soundcloud. De Villes was the first nightclub I ever went to (not this night I must add, I was only eleven in 1981). De Villes must have had a slack door policy back in the mid 80s as there's no way I looked 18, I barely looked 16. I drank a bit, danced (after a fashion) with my mates and got off with a girl in fishnets. It's funny, the things that stick with you.

I'm off on my youngest brother's stag do, a day and evening in Liverpool. Nothing too wild, a few beers, late train home. Someone's threatened a Beatles tribute band at The Cavern. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

drew said...

Hope you had a good time SA. Must admit, can't wait to see Frame on Wednesday night, he never disappoints.

Stuart Matthews said...

Had the most wonderful night in London tonight with Mr Frame at centre stage. And yes The Spirit Shows was played. ... Wooooomph.