Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Runaway



I watched The Runaways on Saturday night, the film about The Runaways- 70s California's all girl punk/glam group. It had a good balance of girls with guitars and sunshine good times, hazy chaos and drug induced fall. The narrative arc in rock films is cliched- it has to be really- but it was well done, it looked good, the highs felt high and the lows were way down low. The two leads- Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning- were both excellent as well.

Cherie left rock'n' roll after her Runaways induced breakdown. Joan Jett didn't leave rock 'n' roll and had several hits including this heart warming, rifftastic cover of a Tommy James and the Shondells song (which I think Drew may have posted a while back but is the only Jett/Runaways song I currently have on the hard drive apart from Cherry Bomb which I have previously posted here myself).

Crimson And Clover


Here are The Runaways, without singer Cherie Currie, on serious rock programme The Old Grey Whistle Test kicking up a bit of a storm. Go Joan.





2 comments:

Walter said...

Well done SA. It makes me smile to see C&G on your post. I also liked them in my younger days and they are worth to explore them musical output. Right Joan - go on

drew said...

I love this version