Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Sunday 4 November 2012

They Moved Their Exclamation Mark!


Godspeed You!Black Emperor changed their name several years ago, shifting the exclamation mark from the end of the name to after You. I have no idea what the significance of this was. They usually get described as a 'shadowy Canadian collective' who make lengthy, apocalyptic, anti-commercial, anti-capitalist, instrumental music.I saw them play in Manchester, I think when Raise Your Skinny Fists To Heaven Like Antennae came out. They sat and stood on stage and played their tracks, almost exactly like the sounded on record. One of my friends left before the end for his train, muttering that they weren't improvisational enough but I thought they were impressive. I don't know how many of their albums you actually need but there's a new one out now called Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! More exclamation marks. Will excessive punctuation bring the system down?

Their Helicopters Sing

No comments: