Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 27 July 2012

The Return Of Friday Night Is Rockabilly Night 69



The return of The Cramps to Friday evening. I've been playing a compilation of their early stuff, File Under Sacred Music 1978-81, a lot this week - the cd version not the box set of 7" singles, which costs an eye watering £70- and there really is nothing like early Cramps. Rockabilly mating with punk. Love it all (although this song isn't actually on File Under Sacred Music).

Tear It Up

The picture is from a series of photographs taken by a young Ken Russell of Teddy boys and girls in bomb sites in London in the 1950s. Stunning set of pictures. Which leads me onto... London 2012.

In a volte face that's quite surprised me, after months of detached cynicism, I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics tonight. The year-long build up has bugged me, the corporateness is revolting (people being warned not to wear branded clothing that will clash with official sponsors), the torch relay (showing the best inspirational people we have to offer; Jedward and Will.I.Am) but over the last few days I've begun to look forward to it. Just hope Danny Boyle's remembered to include a pound shop, an out of town retail park and a tanning salon in this evening's show.

3 comments:

drew said...

Still not looking forward to it, but that is because we are quite detatched from the "greatest city on earth" up here.

I bought that box set, couldn't resist it but i'm sure I paid about 55 quid for it.

Artog said...

Nah, bollocks to the Olympics. I'm fleeing the capital for a week and, like most sporting events, I'm sure I'll manage to ignore it almost completely. I don't think it's fair that we're having them for the third time. It should have gone somewhere thats never had them before, somewhere in Africa for instance (and not fucking Johannesburg or Durban) and all the countries competing should chip in for the costs.

drew said...

Well said Artog, as we say up here goan yirsel man!

Nice to see Jeremy making a hunt of himself again. Now if only Boris fell in the flame or something.