Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Friday 31 December 2010

Bagging Area End Of Year Annual Review #1


Bagging Area started on January the 1st 2010 so this is my end of year round up.

Firstly, the top sixteen tracks as chosen by you the readers and the clickers, based on the numbers of downloads-

1. The Pharcyde 'Passing Me By'
2. A Tribe Called Quest 'Scenario'
3. Wayne Smith 'Under Me Sleng Teng'
4. DJ Shadow 'Def Is All Around Us'
5. DJ Shadow 'I've Been Trying'
6. Spiritualized 'Come Together' Two Lone Swordsmen Remix
7. Shannon 'Let The Music Play'
8. Pilooski 'AAA'
9. Steve Mason 'Boys Outside' Andrew Weatherall Dub 1
10. Go Home Productions Destinys Child v The Smiths 'How Soon Is Independence?'
11. NF Porter 'Keep On Keepin' On'
12. Half Man Half Biscuit 'With Goth On Our Side'
13. Bassheads 'Is There Anybody Out There?'
14. Le Corps De Mince Francoise 'Gandhi' Andrew Weatherall Mix 2
15. Warpaint 'Ashes To Ashes'
16. Honkeyfinger 'Running On Empty' Andrew Weatherall Vocal Remix

Which makes it look like this is mainly a dance music blog, with a side order of hip hop. Where are the guitars? I often think of myself as a fan of guitar music as much as anything but maybe that isn't the case. It also ignores the thirty odd posts of rockabilly we've had, which taken together would add up to quite a bit. I suppose there have been lots of guitar based tracks here, The Clash, Joy Division/New Order, The Cramps, Half Man Half Biscuit all being repeat offenders- they just don't hit the high figures. There's been northern soul, psyche, mod, ska, dub, reggae, mash ups, the continuing adventures of Johnny Marr, post punk and 80s indie. I guess I'll just carry on covering as many bases as I can.

I wasn't going to have an end of year list partly because I'm not sure I'm best placed to give a wide ranging and considered view of new music in 2010, especially when I read other bloggers end of year lists and think 'Not heard that, not heard that, not even heard of that' and I don't think I listen to enough new music, but Bagging Area's own 2010 favourites list would read something like this-

1. Steve Mason 'Boys Outside' Andrew Weatherall Dub 1
2. Le Corps De Mince Francoise 'Gandhi' Andrew Weatherall Mix 2
3. Pilooski 'AAA'
4. MIA 'Born Free'
5. Hippies 'Friendly Ghost'
6. The Xx 'VCR' Fourtet Remix
7. Trentemoller 'Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, Go!!!' Andrew Weatherall Prinz Mix
8. Woods 'Bloods Dries Darker'
9. Warpaint 'Undertow' (or their cover of 'Ashes To Ashes', I'll take either)
10. Massive Attack 'Paradise Circus' Gui Boratto Remix
11. Massive Attack 'Pray For Rain' Tim Goldsworthy Remix
12. Paul Weller 'Andromeda' Richard Hawley remix
13. Edwyn Collins 'What Is My Role?' (or 'Losing Sleep' or any one of four or five off the album)
14. Grinderman with Robert Fripp 'Super Heathen Child'
15. LCD Soundsystem 'I Can Change'
16. Wounded Lion 'Friendly'
17. Error Operator 'Follow'
18. Paul Weller 'No Tears To Cry'
19. The Xx 'Shelter' John Talbot remix
20. The Jim Jones Revue 'High Horse'
21. Gorillaz 'Stylo'

But there could well be records I've missed out or forgotten, and some of the placings are pretty arbitrary.

Pilooski's AAA is one of the best things I've heard this year. This is the minute and a bit dub/bonus beats that came on the 12". Thanks for reading, here's to 2011.

b1-pilooski-unknown.mp3

6 comments:

Mondo said...

Have a good one Adam - I'll try to check out as many of those tunes as poss' in the new year..

Anonymous said...

Well done for getting through the year. Here's to as successful 2011 for you.

davyh said...

You only started in Jan 2010? Feels like you've been here forever. In a good way.

HNY SA X

Scott said...

Hope you have a great 2010. All the best Adam. Happy New Year when it comes round.

Scott said...

2011 that should be obviously....have a great time...

Simon said...

Happy new year!