Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Thursday 26 August 2010

I'll Sell My Guitar And Never Look Back


Arab Strap guitarist Malcolm Middleton released a solo album in 2005 called IntoThe Woods. This song Break My Heart was the opening track and a single. Set to soaring, uplifting, guitars and strings backing it contains some of the most jaundiced and bleakly honest lyrics I've heard.

'You're gonna break my heart and I know it
But if you don't
You're gonna break my unhappiness and destroy my career
I'd rather feel full than sing these shit songs
I'll sell my guitar and never look back'

Later Malcolm ratchets up the long, dark night of the soul with

'If I don't have you I'm condemend to sing shit songs
I'll fuck my guitar and drink myself to death
I don't want to sing these shit songs anymore'

Sung in his strong Scottish accent against such a great song musically, totally believable and totally honest, caught in the bind between his art, his view of his art, and his personal life.


01 Break My Heart.wma

No comments: