Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Public Image Ltd. 'Public Image'


I've noticed over the weekend that John Lydon's reformed Public Image Ltd. are touring again this month. I'm not a massive fan of the re-union business but for P.i.L. I make an exception. I saw them play Manchester back in December last year, in fact I wrote about it for the third ever post at Bagging Area. They're not playing here this time around but if you live within easy distance of London, Leeds, Bristol, Oxford, Liverpool or Glasgow I thoroughly recommend it. Even without Jah Wobble and Keith Levene the new P.i.L. are frighteningly good, and Lydon is the number one rock frontman. You should get to hear all the Metal Box stuff in fine bass heavy style, Rise, This Is Not A Love Song, and if you're lucky Open Up as well. And of course this, P.i.L.'s debut single, calling card, Lydon's lyrical resignation from the role of Rotten, and one of the very best singles of the period. Or any other period too for that matter.

Two note bass intro, Lydon's sarky 'Hello, hello', some vicious guitar and then...'You never listened to a word that I said, you only seen me for the clothes that I wear'. One of the greatest starts to any record, and they keep it up for the length of the single until the final 'Goodbye'.

Public_Image.mp3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, saw them at the Electric Ballroom Dec '09 and they blew me away! Lydon in fine voice and backed by a tremendous band. Check the Coachella clips from earlier this year - amazing! Hope to see them again at Shepherds Bush 19th July! :0)

Unknown said...

Hear Hear on that description of the debut single.