Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 5 June 2010

A Certain Ratio 'The Big E'


Two hundred and thirty-odd posts ago I featured the remixed version of this song, one of my favourite records, ACR's I Won't Stop Loving You. This is the original version, taken from the Good Together album during ACR's short-lived stay with a major record label in the late 80s. Apparently ACR don't particularly like this album, and it's certainly slicker and more polished than both their earlier punk-funk Factory stuff and later house MCR era records, but it's not a million miles from their Force album (one of their best). I Won't Stop Loving You is one of the definitive records of the period for those who reside in Bagging Area Towers. The Big E, as it was first known, has a saxophone part which grates a little, and the whole thing is pretty smooth but the song is there, and a good song it is too.

Incidentally, the Good Together album was followed some time later by an e.p. called Four For The Floor, which led with a song also called Good Together which wasn't on the album. It started and ended with a Lou Reed sample. I can't find my 7" copy anywhere, which is concerning. If any Bagging Area readers have a digital file of the song Good Together, or the whole e.p. I'd be very grateful.

03 - The Big E.mp3

6 comments:

Andy said...

I have a digital copy of that ep
I can email a zip if you like
keep up the very good work,I look forward to reading your blog from sunny Stocky
AW

Swiss Adam said...

Ta Andy, hope Stocky is as sunny as Sale. Can you email to ldotturner23atntlworlddotcom (replace dot and at for the symbols)

drew said...

Was listening to I Won't Stop just this morning, spooky!

Ctelblog said...

Great record. Though prefer later version to earlier version (it's that bloody sax).

shitboyfriend said...

Hiya- soon as I started reading this post I thought "not heard Good Together" for years...my vinyl is all still boxed up, but here's a r/s link to the ep if you still need -

http://rs280.rapidshare.com/files/111557151/a_certain_ratio_-_four_for_the_floor_ep.rar

dave shitboyfriend

swiss adam said...

Thanks SBF