Unauthorised item in the bagging area

Saturday 16 January 2010

Bjork 'Big Time Sensuality'


This song, Big Time Sensuality by Bjork, came on my mp3 player on the way to work the other day, and it transported me for a few minutes, back to the heady days of 1994. I met the future Mrs Swiss on a mutual work night out, and the party ended up in the Paradise Factory nightclub on Quay Street, behind the BBC building in Manchester. It was a fairly straight friendly gay club. I say straight friendly, one night a hardcore lesbian called us 'filthy heterosexuals', but there you go. Our courtship lasted several weeks, often ending up in Paradise Factory. There were a few records which were spun week-in week-out at that time- Tinman's 18 Strings, that disco remix of the Doobie Brothers Long Train Running, The OT Quartet's Hold That Sucker Down, The Hed Boys Girls And Boys (the vocal went 'The girls and boys... are dancing on the floor', went down well as you can imagine), and this one, Big Time Sensuality. I havn't followed Bjork's career that closely over the years since Debut. I loved Army Of Me and few others, some stuff moved me less, but Big Time Sensuality was a real time-and-place record, with a great video shot on the back of a truck. The line 'I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to' spoke volumes. So when it popped up the other day, totally unexpectedly, it took me right back to that dancefloor and our earliest days. So, a bit indulgent and soppy, but Mrs Swiss, this one's for you.

08 Big Time Sensuality [The Fluke Minimix].wma

No comments: